How to Get a Free Credit Report
• 2 minute read
Credit reports contain a wealth of information about your credit history. It's important to review your credit report at least annually to ensure it is accurate and that you haven’t become a victim of identity fraud. You’re entitled to one free credit report from Experian, TransUnion and Equifax every 12 months.
You are also entitled to a free credit report if:
- You believe you may be a victim of identity theft.
- You have been denied credit, employment, insurance or rental housing in the past 60 days due to your credit score.
- You receive welfare benefits or if you are unemployed.
Request your free credit report at AnnualCreditReport.com. Please note the free credit report does not include your credit score.
Check Your Credit Report for Accuracy
As you look over your credit report, be sure to check the following:
- Your personal and contact information.
- Check your name is spelled correctly, your current and previous addresses are represented and your Social Security Number is accurate.
- Open credit lines: Ensure any open account with a balance is one which has been opened with your authorization.
- Credit inquiries: Because these inquiries indicate to other lenders that you have applied for new credit, lenders may view multiple recent inquiries on your credit report as a sign that you may be overextending yourself. Be sure to review this section to ensure all inquiries are valid.
- Public record information: Ensure that any public record information such as tax liens, monetary judgments, bankruptcies, etc., is accurate and reflects the most current status and activity. Keep in mind that there may be a delay of 30 days or more until the most recent activity is reflected on your credit reports.
- If you find inaccuracies in your credit report, consider filing a dispute with the credit bureaus.
Free Credit Report Review and Education
WSECU partners with BALANCE, a national nonprofit organization, to provide members with free access to financial counselors who are experts in personal finance and credit. If you’d like help reviewing your credit report, give BALANCE a call at 888.456.2227 or visit the BALANCE website.
Credit Scores and Reports
Improve your credit score.
Your credit score can have a big impact on your financial life. Understanding how credit scores and reports work can help you achieve financial goals like buying a home, leasing a car or paying off debt.