Skip to main content

Main Header

Important Notifications

Card Disputes - FAQs

3 minute read

What is the difference between a dispute and fraud?

  • A dispute is a disagreement between you and a merchant when you use a debit or credit card for a purchase or a financial institution for a transaction conducted at an ATM. 
  • Fraud is when your card or your card/account information is stolen and used fraudulently by the person who stole it. 

Am I required to contact the merchant/financial institution?

Yes – and it's important to contact the merchant first before contacting us or another financial institution. Visa® will not process a dispute until you have contacted the merchant/financial institution in attempt to resolve the disputed charge regarding a refund. You can contact the merchant by phone, email or mail.

When do I complete the dispute form?

If you are unable to resolve the disagreement with the merchant/financial institution, you can submit a dispute form. The information you provide gives the details and documentation about the transaction and the steps you’ve taken to resolve the issue with the merchant.

What information do I need to complete the dispute form?

An important first step is to only give one reason for the dispute. If you’re not sure which of the options listed on the form applies, please include a separate document that explains the issue with the dispute form. Information to provide includes:

  • The date(s) and methods used to communicate with the merchant
  • The merchant’s phone number, email address, website
  • Details of the conversations and timelines
  • These details are important and the information you provide is used to decide the outcome of your dispute.

What is provisional credit?

Provisional credit is a temporary/conditional credit issued to you while the dispute is in process. At the end of the process, the credit will remain on your account if the decision is in your favor. If the decision is in favor of the merchant, the credit will be removed from your account.

When will provisional credit be given?

Provisional credit is issued when a completed dispute form is submitted with proper documentation. WSECU has three business days to issue provisional credit; however, our goal is to post it to your account within one business day. If we don’t receive the dispute form or necessary documentation, we’ll return it to you with a request to provide additional information.

What role does WSECU have in the decision of the dispute?

The only role we play is to send the dispute form and documentation to Visa. Visa will review your information along with information provided by the other party. Visa’s decision is based on the terms and condition of the agreement between you and the merchant/financial institution.

How long can it take for a dispute to be resolved?

Generally disputes can be resolved in 60 days. Because every situation is different, the timelines may vary. Some may take 120 days or more to complete the process. Additional information may be requested and we’ll contact you via letter in these instances. If you do receive this request, it's important to respond within the timeframe given in the letter to ensure the dispute process continues.

If my dispute is not ruled in my favor, what happens next?

You’ll be referred back to the other party for any further attempt in resolving the disputed charge. In some situations, you may need to file with small claims court, Better Business Bureau and/or Attorney General’s Office.

I want to dispute a transaction. Where can I find the form?

Download it here – you can fill it out on your computer or mobile device - then contact us at 800.562.0999 or stop by your local branch.

Your perspective is important to us and helps us see where we’re hitting the mark and where there might be areas to improve.