October 25, 2018 • 2 minute read
Your Cyber Security Resource
Security Central is here to:
- Provide education about cyber security
- Help you protect yourself
- Stay up to date on industry news
- Keep you informed on current security issues
On Tap This Month: Online Holiday Shopping
While for most of us this is the season of giving, for the world’s cyber criminals it’s a time when online shoppers are at their most vulnerable. Don’t let seasonal scams ruin your holiday.
Secure Holiday Shopping Quick Tips
- Make sure you’re on a site with a valid SSL certificate - it should have https in the web address, not http.
- Avoid making purchases over public Wi-Fi.
- Be wary of unsolicited emails, texts, social media pleas or ads that contain malicious links or attachments, especially donation requests from potentially fraudulent charities.
- Use credit cards or a third-party payment service like PayPal; debit card fraud can compromise your checking account.
- Use unique passwords for each website--the longer and more complicated, the better.
If You Think Your Online Security Has Been Compromised:
- Check your account for any suspicious charges.
- Request a WSECU representative to close any account that may have been affected.
- Change any passwords that may have been stolen, and avoid reusing others.
- Report the incident to the police as well as the Federal Trade Commission and the FBI’s Internet Crime Complaint Center.